How to Apply
The Application Process from Nomination to Selection
2021 Cohort Applications
Due to COVID-19 impacts, the application process for the 2021 Cohort has been tentatively rescheduled for Fall 2020. If you wish to be notified when the application window re-opens, please contact us. Alternatively, updates for those interested in applying will be posted here.
Maui Nui occupies a special place in the state, country and world. However, we face many challenges that could very well erode the unique splendor of these special islands. We believe a significant effort to train future leaders of the County will materially help all of us to face, and better deal with, these opportunities. From those concerns and that belief, Ka Ipu Kukui Fellows Program was conceived to provide significant help in developing future leaders for Maui Nui through a comprehensive community-based program that is designed to address planning for the future of Maui Nui. Learn more about our mission, vision, and core values.
Utilizing local media, a growing community network, and the increasing Ka Ipu Kukui Fellows alumni, interested nominees are invited to complete an application. For more information and/or to obtain additional information please call Lori Teragawachi at (808) 344-3181.
Applicants must reside in Maui Nui and be between the ages of 25 and 40 at the time of the application deadline. We welcome applicants who demonstrate:
- Leadership Experience and Potential: Applicants should show a pattern of an emerging leader through their work history, participate in community activities, and a goal of increasing community involvement and/or leadership development. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to understand and apply value-based leadership and selfless service. They must also be able to critically examine issues and deliver thoughtful solutions.
- Evidence of Personal Character and Integrity: Applicants should demonstrate characteristics of high personal character, showing strength of character through resilience in the face of difficult circumstances. Applicants should demonstrate civility through thoughtful thinking and respectful behaviors in light of disagreeing opinions.
- Community Service: Applicants should have a history of active commitment to responsible stewardship or leadership and a desire to help address community issues through participation and service. Applicants should have an awareness of themselves as a member in the broader Maui Nui community.
- Commitment to Personal Growth: Applicants must have a commitment to actively participate in the Halawai and developing their leadership skills by being open to new experiences, gaining new skills, and making a commitment to ongoing personal development.
The Ka Ipu Kukui Fellows will be selected through a competitive process conducted by the members of the Screening and Selection Committee. Candidates may be interviewed if the Selection Committee deems necessary. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision. Approximately twelve to sixteen individuals will be selected based on criteria including commitment to civic involvement in Maui Nui, the potential for community leadership, and professional as well as personal achievement.
If you know of an outstanding individual or employee you would like to nominate, please have them review our website and become familiar with the program before submitting an application to participate.
Please complete the Participation Application and upload the following documents to be considered for the program. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of this application. Your completed commitment form must be signed by you, your sponsor and/or your employer (as appropriate).
Required Forms and Documents that must be uploaded and sent during the application process:
- Signed Commitment Form
- Your Resume
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
It is vital that the participant and employer understand and honor the commitment to participate in the program. The program will require active participation monthly during the next year, for approximately two to three days depending on the activities planned. If unable to commit to this schedule, please do not apply at this time. If currently employed, applications without employer/sponsor’s signature will not be accepted. Download/print the Commitment Form and obtain your employer/sponsor signature. Then scan the completed form as a PDF. You will need to upload that form when submitting your application.
Applicants will be asked to prepare three short essays (250-word count per question) for inclusion in the online application form that answer the following questions:
1 Where do you see yourself in 5 years and what goals do you want to accomplish?
2 What unique qualities/talents will you bring? And why should the Board consider you as a Fellow?
3 In your judgment, what is the most pressing challenge facing Maui Nui today? Please give your recommendations for approaching and resolving this challenge.
When you have all the required documents completed and signed and your essays are prepared, you can begin the application by clicking the “Start Application” button below.
THE APPLICATION WINDOW WILL RESUME FALL 2020.